The Northern Colorado Chapter of the Colorado Archaeological Society has been fortunate to receive impressive applications from excellent students. To date, our organization has awarded over $3000. We have been proud to help financially support these students in their travels to present their research at professional conferences.
The James and Doris Greenacre Scholarship
The Northern Colorado Chapter of the Colorado Archaeological Society (NCC-‐CAS) created the James Greenacre Scholarship Fund in 1996 using funds donated by Doris Greenacre in memory of her husband, James Greenacre. In his life of diverse achievements, Mr. Greenacre, a Fort Collins native, worked as an archaeologist at the Lindenmeier site, assisted in mapping the moon at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, and was an NCC-‐CAS member for many years. The NCC-‐CAS will award a scholarship of $200 each to a student attending Colorado State University and University of Northern Colorado who has or will be presenting a paper or poster at an archaeological conference during the 2018-‐19 academic year. The academic year is defined as August 1, 2018 through July 31, 2019. The Scholarship Committee will select one recipient from each University and award the scholarship based on the quality of the application and the estimated financial need. If there are no, or ineligible, applicants, the other University will be eligible for both scholarships.
Applicant Qualifications and How to Apply
Applicant must be:
• Registered graduate or undergraduate student at Colorado State University or the University of Northern Colorado.
• Majoring or minoring in anthropology with an emphasis in archaeology.
• Primary author and presenter of the paper or poster.
• Applicant does not have to be a member of the Colorado Archaeological
Society Applicant must submit:
• Cover letter including the applicant’s name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, and signature agreeing to the terms outlined on this form.
• Brief summary of academic accomplishments, fieldwork experience, and research interests.
• Written letter of reference from a professor of anthropology or professional archaeologist.
• Name, date, and location of the conference, along with an abstract of the presentation.
• Itemized list of estimated expenses required to attend the conference.
Award recipient must:
• Acknowledge the Greenacre Scholarship Fund and the Northern Colorado Chapter of the Colorado Archaeological Society in the poster or presentation.
• Present the paper or poster at a regular program of the NCC-‐CAS before December 31, 2019
• Authorize NCC-‐CAS to publish abstract and recipient’s photo in publications, websites, and social media platforms
• Return the award if the recipient does not attend the conference as intended.
Preference is to have applicants email application(s) on or before March 27, 2019 at 7pm to:
Chapter President, Raymond.Sumner@colostate.edu, If email is not possible, applications must be received by NCC-‐CAS before March 27, 2019 at 7PM.
The mailing address is:
Northern Colorado Chapter;
P.O. Box 271513,
Fort Collins, CO